NetApp SaaS Backup Review

Reasonably-priced, stable, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

We were using this as a backup and recovery solution. However, we have just bought a replacement, which is the Commvault Backup System.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability.

What needs improvement?

There are several things that cannot be backed up as a full system, but rather only as a shared file. It isn't compatible with all applications and databases. Better integration with third-party databases and applications is needed. For example, we should be able to easily backup our Oracle database.

Better automation would be an improvement.

We have been working with NetApp SaaS Backup for between three and four years.

We did not have any issues in terms of stability.

Scalability is not a problem, except where it is not compatible with some databases and other applications.

The technical support team is very good.

The system is very easy to implement. We had no issues with the initial setup.

The licensing was based on a three-year subscription and the price is good compared so some other vendors.

We are in the process of implementing a new backup system, Commvault. It is good because it is compatible with every system. It is compatible with any kind of database and any kind of application. Some things can also be done automatically. Commvault is also cheaper in price than NetApp.

In our search for a new solution, we evaluated the options from EMC and Veritas. We found, for example, that EMC cannot properly back up an Oracle database.

What other advice do I have?

Over the time that we have used it, NetApp SaaS was a good solution and it performed well. However, because of the incompatibility with some databases, I recommend using Commvault instead.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.