NetApp SnapCenter Review

Simplicity of backup and restore directly with VMware is an advantage, but it could be faster

What is our primary use case?

It's used for backup and restoring of virtual machines from VMware. I have some experience with SnapCenter but only on the installation. I don't work directly with the end customers.

How has it helped my organization?

The simplicity of backup and restore directly with VMware is an advantage and the time to backup and restore is reduced.

What is most valuable?

The easy installation of the plug-ins to the host is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The compatibility with other manufacturers, like Oracle and Hyper-V, could be improved. I would like to see it be more compatible with other software.

Less than one year.

So far, it's very stable, although I don't know what it's like for the end customer. From my side, it seems to be very stable.

I had a customer with two sites, and the scalability was great. I had to install SnapCenter on both sites and it was very straightforward. The two sites communicate with each other.

I have used NetApp's technical support for this solution and it went very well. They asked me for some logs, identified the problem - we easily got to the point, where the issue was - and the problem was resolved.

Some of our customers were using Veeam and Commvault before using SnapCenter. They did not replace the other tools, they are doing some backups with them as well. The solutions are complementing each other.

The initial setup is straightforward. Other than one issue, a networking problem on the customer's side, I have had no issues. Installation is very fast, very straightforward. Deployment, with all the features installed and configured, takes about one day.

I am using the Standard license, the free version. There is an Advanced license but I don't know its price.

What other advice do I have?

Try it and buy it. Try the product to see the features, the easy installation, and how easy it is to implement and to work with.

We have five or six end customers, users, who are system admins. For deployment and maintenance, it requires two people.

I would rate SnapCenter at seven out of ten. The tool could be faster.

**Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor.
More NetApp SnapCenter reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with Rubrik
Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: August 2021.
534,768 professionals have used our research since 2012.