NetApp SnapMirror Review

Initial setup was very easy as it was part of our Data ONTAP system, so we just select our source and destination volumes and click initialize.

Valuable Features

It provides block-based replication of data from the primary system to the disaster recovery systems. It’s fast and doesn’t take a lot of bandwidth, and it transfers everything including data and snapshots. Also, the clustered Data ONTAP is valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

It's very robust, very fast, and very easy to set up.

Room for Improvement

On very large data sets with a lot of changes, the interval between mirrors can be rather long.

Use of Solution

I've used it for 10 years.

It has been 100% stable.

I can’t say how far it goes, but I haven’t run into problems yet. It’s very scalable, although on very large data sets with a lot of changes, the interval between mirrors can be rather long.

Technical support is very good.

No previous solution was used.

Initial setup was very easy as it’s part of our Data ONTAP system, so we just select our source and destination volumes, click initialize, and that’s it.

Other Advice

Keep in mind that is an asynchronous replication solution, so the destination will always lag behind compared to the source. If you can live with that, then it’s a perfect solution.