NetApp SnapMirror Review

An excellent backup solution that's flexible, reliable and quite stable

How has it helped my organization?

We are using the solution to backup our two data centers between our location site and our data center in Milan, and, in both directions: from Grassobio to Milan and from Milan to Grassobio. From the customer's side, we are storing all of our customer's data as an application in our cluster on our data center.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features that are excellent. The data compression during the transfer, for example, is good. The replication is great. The durability of the solution and the speed of the data moving from one site to another is impressive.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, we are not using the synchronous mirror, but we can implement the synchronous mirror. The only thing is that it needs another license. This is the same issue we have with business continuity. It needs another license to be implemented. You need too many separate licenses for the features. They should add some of the aspects of the premium bundle into the basic bundle. Sometimes our customers choose other replication services because of the initial cost of the licenses.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very flexible. We can move the destination from one site to another, or from one cluster to another without cascading the relationship, so transitioning is quite easy.

Technical support is quite good. For example, I've had an issue in the past, and within a few minutes, with a chat, the issue was solved.

I did not previously use another solution.

Previous earlier versions of the solution had quite complex setups. Now, you can perform the cluster peer SQL replication or from the GUI so it's become quite easy and quite quick. Once you have stated the replication volume, etc., and the clusters are aligned, it takes a minute to implement. Of course, that's once your network requirements are specified.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We are running multiple versions of the solution, including 9.3, 9.5 and 9.6 versions, and, sometimes, we are migrating from 8.2 version of 7-Mode to 9.3 or 9.5 version of NetApp Cluster Telnet.

We're a NetApp partner.

We use a private cloud deployment model ourselves and we are also a service provider for our customers.

It's quite stable, it's not that easy to implement, but it's stable, and it's reliable, and all the data that's on the destination are read-only so there is also extra security.

I would advise it would be a good idea to implement it with VMware. It would make good base for disaster recovery.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten. It's really reliable.