NetApp Snapshot Review

Very good repurposing and backup features with an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is mainly for backup and recovery. We also use it for repurposing the workloads.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the solution are the repurposing and backup features.

What needs improvement?

The solution could include more databases and make it accessible to the DBAs. The automation process should be run in a way where it could be run from the database itself.

I’ve been using the solution for ten years.

In terms of stability, it’s very good. We've never lost anything. The only downside, I would say, is it does take a while to browse through. Sometimes I wait for maybe three minutes for something to come back so that I can get a proper listing and find what I need. If it's used with SnapManager, it does take long to update from the GUI.

Right now, we don’t plan to increase usage. We have 150-200 people on the solution currently. We will still use the solution, but not so extensively.

Technical support is good. However, sometimes we are put in touch with an agent that is not so knowledgable.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment took about three weeks.

Mostly we handled the deployment ourselves, however, we did hire a consultant to assist us with implementation.

We bought the license with the machine, so we put everything together and paid for a bundle.

What other advice do I have?

We use a hybrid deployment model.

If you do have a storage device, I would strongly recommend that you implement it, especially with the ransomware that's going around. It offers quick recoveries for users, especially on file servers.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More NetApp Snapshot reviews from users
...who compared it with Dell EMC AppSync
Learn what your peers think about NetApp Snapshot. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.