NetApp StorageGRID Review

It has awesome scalability. We consume it with storage appliance nodes, then we just plug and play as we need more.

What is our primary use case?

We have set up an Internet-facing S3 service. We use and sell that to customers in that format.

We also use it internally, though not that much. I set up the networking for the internal use case.

It is mostly used for backup and archival workloads at this point.

How has it helped my organization?

We can provide something that customers can consume. Also, the licensing that the S3 service provides them from a FabricPool standpoint is more attractive than the licensing from AWS or Azure.

It helps us automate our storage infrastructure by allowing us to consume storage appliances as we need them.

What is most valuable?

Gives us that object storage presence in the Canadian marketplace. We are the only service provider providing it today, outside of the big players: AWS and Azure.

It has excellent usability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them integrate more with the monitoring platforms. It is a bit difficult to get automated monitoring of the system.

The processes around installation and upgrade need improvement.

The stability is good.

It has awesome scalability. We consume it with storage appliance nodes, then we just plug and play as we need more.

The technical support is good. It is easy to escalate issues. I haven't taken advantage of it too many times though.

We were using something else (EMC Atmos), but it got antiquated and we decided to switch. There were a number of factors for switching:

• The experience wasn't that good on the platform.
  • We had some bad vibes with it.
  • We saw this as an opportunity to integrate a bit more with some of our other NetApp systems.
  • The market was going in a different direction for services.

We had to get out there with a product as well.

It was pretty complex at the time to initially set up. It was an older version when we initially put it in place, so there were some hiccups. However, this last go around with our test system, the install was smoother and easier to get up and running.

We had NetApp Professional Services help us out with the initial deployment. They were good.

We have seen ROI.

We save money on storage costs from this solution since it allows us to have a source of revenue from customers consuming the service.

While we did evaluate other vendors, our partnership with NetApp swayed us towards them.

What other advice do I have?

Look at StorageGRID product because it hits that sweet spot of what you are trying to do as a service provider from an S3 perspective.

There are a couple of opportunities that we're looking at for IoT analytics or machine learning in the near future.