NetBeans Review

Some of the valuable features are Java development, RCP ​support and support for various other languages.

What is our primary use case?

Java (SE, EE, JavaFx) and RCP development. I'm also developing plugins for NetBeans IDE.

How has it helped my organization?

It has sped up our Java development. Regarding using Eclipse before, creating GUI forms became much faster and as well as the maintenance of them.

What is most valuable?

• Java development support. (The Java editor is one of the best Java IMHO editors. Java projects support Ant and Maven.)
  • RCP support
  • GUI editor for Java windows
  • RCP support: An easy way to create your own app using NetBeans base. There is a lot of documentation for RCP creation.
  • Plugins can be easy created.

Also there is support for other languages as C/C++, HTLM5, Javascript, Groovy, PHP... There is a lot of plugins that can be easily installed.

What needs improvement?

The background scanning of projects should be optimized after starting NetBeans. When a lot of projects are opened, it takes a little too long for NetBeans to start up. I experienced this with more than 30 projects open. However, after loading projects, everything works normally.

More than five years.

The only issue with scalability is the startup speed.

I would give technical support a rating of an eight out of 10.

I previously used Eclipse. I switched to NetBeans because NetBeans has better project organization. There is no workspace and it has very good GUI builder.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It is free and can be used for commercial development.

What other advice do I have?

Use it and you will not regret your decision.

My company is only a customer. I personally develop some plugins for NetBeans and published them on NetBeans' site: http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/48312/?show=true.

Good stuff is now happening: NetBeans is moved to Apache. This will make a larger community and enabled growing NetBeans product.

First release of Apache NetBeans is close. See https://netbeans.apache.org/do...