Netezza Analytics Review

RDBMS appliance scalable upto PetaBytes

Valuable Features

Its query performance and speed.

Improvements to My Organization

Earlier there was high latency to query extraction but Netezza has improved the speed for all OLAP operations. This has helped the organization to get the business answers right on time.

Room for Improvement

• Matching up with big data.
  • Netezza has been built only for OLAP and structured data, and I think IBM must do something to match it to Hadoop scalability.

Use of Solution

I've used it for four years.

There’s only been one, where data slices were corrupted soon after the deployment but IBM has fixed it in a perfect manner.

No issues encountered.

We didn’t have many scalability issues, except when it touches the PB storage data and we need to move it to external storage. Netezzas’ highest model storage capacity is 1.2 PB.

Great, 8/10.

Great, 8/10.

We have previously used Microsoft SQL server, but we switched because our business wants fast and reliable appliance like Netezza. Although MS SQL server is reliable but Netezza is known for it's MPP and performance when compared to other RDBMS appliances.

Straightforward.

Implementation Team

An IBM team deployed it for us, and they were 9/10.

ROI

Business questions are answered much quicker than what we use to do it earlier.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The Netezza appliance is bit costly for a mid-sized organization but highly effective on the performance side and for structured data.

Other Solutions Considered

We also looked at Oracle and SQL Server.

Other Advice

I don’t want to be biased but it all depends on the business requirement because there are many models for it, which range from 7.8 TB to 1.2 PB (uncompressed). If the business has done a feasibility check on Netezza for their scalability plus the growth and they found it to be within their estimates then I would suggest that they have taken off from the right runway.