Netezza Analytics Review

A robust solution with good support, but a better GUI for database management is needed

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our data warehouse in an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are robustness and support.

What needs improvement?

This product is being discontinued from IBM, and I would like to have some kind of upgrade available.

Scalability of this solution is not possible.

I would like to see a better graphical user interface for database management.

We have been using this solution for six years.

This solution is very robust. There are minor issues occasionally, but they roll out patches and upgrades about once every three months.

There is no scalability at all. It is an on-premises solution, and if you want to scale then you have to buy another version.

Indirectly, we have about four hundred users.

Technical support for this solution is very good. It is coming directly from IBM.

Prior to this solution, we were using a Microsoft product. It was not performing well, and not really an adequate solution, which is why we switched.

The initial setup of this solution is very simple.

Three people are suitable for maintenance.

A team from IBM assisted us with the deployment, which took approximately six months. There were five or six people involved. There were two managers and four technicians.

This solution is very expensive. The annual licensing fees are twenty-two percent of the product cost.

Prior to choosing this solution, we evaluated Greenplum and Vertica.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that a lot of evaluation should be done before starting. Also, we needed to put a lot of effort into understanding the different functions that the product offers. This allows you to best leverage the capability of the product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.