Netezza Analytics Review

A high-performance solution to create reports from our data mart, but the scalability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for creating reports from the data in our data mart.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance.

There is less administrative work and you won't need more than one or two administrators.

Upgrading is very good, the IBM support is very good, migration, and the migration commands are also very good and easy.

What needs improvement?

Concurrency was an issue. If you run small querries it runs well, and the performance is good. However, when you run multiple long querries or multiple joins, it has some concurrency issues, except for some date covers and some configuration requirements.

Scalability can be improved. When I say that I can add new nodes to the system, compared to other systems, you have to come up with a new box, and not everybody likes that.

In the next release, I would like to see the scalability and concurrency issues resolved. Also, the joining rate features against the swap phase issues need to be addressed.

In regards to the swap phase, if you have less cred then your swaps go down, and your system gets restarted every time, which affects the query files. It should not get restarted. Swap memory issues should be improved.

The Analytics feature should be simplified. Everyone is talking about machine learning aspects and people go for the data mart appliance. The portfolio is built for the data storage and the data is accessed frequently. People would like it to be easier.

I have been using Netezza Analytics for more than six years.

This solution is stable. It requires fewer systems and maintenance.

If you are a controlled business user, it is very stable.

This solution is scalable but it needs to be improved.

We have forty users and we don't plan to increase usage at this time.

The technical support is very good and I am satisfied with them.

The deployment took over one month to complete. We ordered several servers and had to wait for delivery.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think that it is currently available on the cloud, except for IBM Bluemix. They will come up with DB2 Analytics. IBM will come up with a new name.

Moving the data from one box to another box or moving it to the cloud or any other storage, the connectors are there but the efficiency in the movement or the data movement features is similar to USB.

Netezza has already changed its name, so they are no longer selling this solution under this brand. They are selling Neteeza Mako and I would recommend it, although I am still looking for an analytics solution.

Netezza has already launched the new DB2 analytics.

You want to think about whether or not you want to purchase it or consider other solutions such as Snowflake, and Redshift.

When we deployed this solution, the FPGA concept was not at all clear until we started using FPGA with SQL performance-tuning that combines the hardware with the software. It's tightly coupled.

I was not aware of the Sqoop connectors to Hadoop that are used to transfer data from databases to Hadoop and vice-versa. We already had Neteeza, so we only had to download Sqoop. There are several SQL analytics. Not everyone is aware that these functions are already built and that there are separate analytics and SQL analytics function libraries available to download for free.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Netezza Analytics reviews from users