IBM Netezza Performance Server Review

It reduces system administration and database administration effort.

What is most valuable?

Netezza partitions all database objects across all available SPU’s. With traditional RDBMS systems, partitioning database objects requires a lot of planning and configuration. Netezza, only requires to develop a partitioning scheme. This eliminates several steps in the process, vastly simplifies performance tuning leading to very high performance.

As the system is preconfigured, the site level configuration required is minimal. Eliminates the need for a separate SAN.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduces system administration and database administration effort. Simplifies performance tuning effort. The net effect is reduced load on DBA team and quicker turnaround.

What needs improvement?

Application development in Netezza is done using SQL scripts and stored procedures. GUI based ETL tools provides higher level of visibility and higher productivity. I hope to see a GUI based application development environment. This could also be achieved through tight integration with an ETL tool, like IBM’s own ETL tool DataStage.

We've used it for five years.

Netezza was one of the components in our application. This component had the least number of issues

Good. We had Netezza experts assigned to the client site and had easy access to them.

1. Compared to other RDBMS, Netezza provides much higher performance and much lower maintenance effort
  2. Compared to Teradata, lower cost and lower administration

Initial set-up of the system is quite simple. Eliminates several steps required in a custom built platform, like storage system configuration, planning database storage.

I was a consultant from the system implementation vendor.

What other advice do I have?

1. Netezza is well suited for data warehousing and analytics, not for OLTP application
  2. The key approach is to develop an uniform data distribution scheme and collocation of data partitions across related database objects. For example, if we have a large customer dimension and a large sales by customer fact, these tables will be joined very frequently. To get the best performance, both tables should be distributed on the same key, e.g. customer_id.
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are system integration provider for Netezza
More IBM Netezza Performance Server reviews from users