Netezza Review

Its ability to push down optimization through the use of FPGA to limit data at the storage layer is a valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

• Elimination of space management with less time spent on capacity planning
  • Push down optimization through the use of FPGA to limit data at the storage layer
  • The concept of an appliance where everything is pre-built (storage, hardware, database and OS) and the support for each of these components is through one vendor.

How has it helped my organization?

Query and process response times have improved resulting in customers being able to process and analyse more in less time.

What needs improvement?

Certain database maintenance tasks related to the catalogue need for the database to be offline. Enabling those tasks to be done with the database on-line would be beneficial. Also, the availability of additional SQL and database tuning options would be good.

I've used it for six years. We currently use the Mako, TwinFin-6 and TwinFin-3 appliances.

Deployment is straightforward.

The appliance is stable for the most part. All components have fail-over/spare components built-in. Any failed component is replaced within 24 hours by IBM support.

Since it is an appliance, individual components within the appliance cannot be scaled. Scaling would mean buying the next generation of the appliance.

7/10

7/10

Our previous solution was in Oracle which had a custom data model. The reason for the change in technology was due to the data model. The new data model was purchased from IBM and their recommendation was to use Netezza for it.

The hardware set-up is straightforward.

It is done by IBM support in a day or two. The use of the appliance to implement the data model require for knowledgeable development and database resources. Prior working knowledge of Netezza would be an added advantage.

IBM offers great pricing on refurbished appliances. These appliances are just like new but can be negotiated to be offered at much lower prices.

What other advice do I have?

Resources who have previously worked with Netezza should be asked to work on the project. If people with prior Netezza knowledge cannot be engaged then candidates who are familiar with Linux should be sent for Netezza training offered by IBM prior to engaging them to work on this platform.