Netezza Review

The platform is very efficient and robust.

What is most valuable?

It is extremely easy to use. The platform is very efficient and robust as well.

How has it helped my organization?

Generally, the machine utilized for the PoC is rarely returned once the overwhelming results are seen! Customers decide to keep the project, almost from scratch! The initial KPIs are delivered with low investment. There is quick implementation and considerable outcomes which make the platform a valuable asset to the organization.

What needs improvement?

Marketing, I dare say, should be improved. The ads should never mention “big data” since the platform was not initially designed for it.

I worked years and years ago with Teradata, and this is the platform to which it should be compared. It is important to emphasize that Netezza and Teradata have different markets. Netezza performs very well “in its peculiar and valuable small world.”

I have used this solution for years.

We did not have any stability issues.

It is not designed to process a huge volume of data.

Technical support is good.

I worked for different companies and my experience is really wide. Teradata is the paramount solution! Oracle’s Exadata invests a lot in both technology and marketing, sometimes losing the focus on “real” analytics. They used to address the platform as both OLAP and OLTP (“one size fits all”), which is not correct.

The rule of thumb in the data warehousing/business intelligence space starts with a simple PoC. That being said, there must be a few questions to be answered by the platform. The data model must be simple and flexible enough to address some “extra questions” within a set timetable, in case the customer wants to extend the PoC prior to making the purchase.

Comparisons with other solutions, including pricing and licensing, is as important as a PoC.

I compared Netezza to Teradata and Exadata.

1 Comment
Data Warehouse Architect at a consultancyReal UserTOP 20

I think Netezza is built for Big data solution we can scale PETA scale of data. In my organization, we have upgraded Production box to Mako and it's working well for ETL and reporting symanteniousely. TCO is very low to it's peer and organization save million dollars for choosing the right technology. I worked in Teradata but when i compared with Netezza then in specific to Mart Netezza is a clear winner.

04 July 18