NetFort LANGuardian Review
Cost effective but when we originally purchased LANGuardian, some features needed further development.

Valuable Features

The ability to detect and decipher torrent traffic for the purpose of identifying what some refer to as "copyright violators".

Improvements to My Organization

Our CIO asked us to track down the source of undesired uploads, which trigger e-mails received by outside bodies regarding what they refer to as "copyright violations", and Languardian was the most efficient and effective tool for the job.

Room for Improvement

Sure, at the time we bought the product, the GUI and graphs/reports/pie charts etc ... were not fully developed.

Use of Solution

2.5 years

Minor, mainly due to the dynamic nature of the protocol, but that was nothing the support was not able to promptly address.

Minor, related to the underlying Unix operating system, which the developers addressed as well.

None encountered.

Excellent.

Excellent.

We did attempt to do the job using a DPI engine, but the product failed to deliver our requirements.

It was a very simple set-up.

Implementation Team

It was done in-house.

ROI

Since it was used as a forensic rather than profit generating, what I can say is that it is very cost effective.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Nothing more than the usual power/cooling/space required by a 2U server.

Other Solutions Considered

For the sake of confidentiality I can not disclose the name of other products, except, as mentioned above, that we attempted to use a DPI engine previously.

Other Advice

Don't bother spending time stitching your own solution, because you will find that to be more expensive that this cost effective solution.