NetFort LANGuardian Review

Cost effective but when we originally purchased LANGuardian, some features needed further development.

What is most valuable?

The ability to detect and decipher torrent traffic for the purpose of identifying what some refer to as "copyright violators".

How has it helped my organization?

Our CIO asked us to track down the source of undesired uploads, which trigger e-mails received by outside bodies regarding what they refer to as "copyright violations", and Languardian was the most efficient and effective tool for the job.

What needs improvement?

Sure, at the time we bought the product, the GUI and graphs/reports/pie charts etc ... were not fully developed.

2.5 years

Minor, mainly due to the dynamic nature of the protocol, but that was nothing the support was not able to promptly address.

Minor, related to the underlying Unix operating system, which the developers addressed as well.

None encountered.

Excellent.

Excellent.

We did attempt to do the job using a DPI engine, but the product failed to deliver our requirements.

It was a very simple set-up.

It was done in-house.

Since it was used as a forensic rather than profit generating, what I can say is that it is very cost effective.

Nothing more than the usual power/cooling/space required by a 2U server.

For the sake of confidentiality I can not disclose the name of other products, except, as mentioned above, that we attempted to use a DPI engine previously.

What other advice do I have?

Don't bother spending time stitching your own solution, because you will find that to be more expensive that this cost effective solution.