NetIQ Identity Manager Review

Very powerful product but customizing takes time and resources. Unpractical for SMBs.

What is most valuable?

The Role Based Provisioning Module feature is by far the best thing about the product; using roles and entitlements for access and provisioning makes old group based obsolete.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced time and resource costs due to automation of previously hand-managed tasks like provisioning, granting access, distribution and access to different enterprise connected applications.

What needs improvement?

Definitely documentation is among the most lacking features of the product. Also, the ability to run all components on Windows OS is needed.

I've used it for one year in different customer environments and licenses.

Deployment is pretty easygoing, though some trouble might arise if the customer's security policy is overly strict or the infrastructure has a bad design.

Stability wise I would rate the product 8 out of 10. Some known quirks and bugs give unwanted resource hogs that can be a headache at the wrong moment.

No major problems as of yet.

Scalability becomes an issue if the vision changes from the initial implementation. Not being flexible and having to rewrite quite a bit of code for even a simple added feature makes it difficult.

9/10.

8/10.

We previously used Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager.

Initial setup is straightforward if done by vendor requirements.

We used a vendor team, and their level of expertise is 9/10.

• Four hours for installation
  • Development hours vary
  • Two hours weekly maintenance and check-ups

We also looked at Quest OneIdentity, Oracle Identity Manager and Tivoli Identity Manager.

What other advice do I have?

• It is a money saver in the long run
  • As long as you set your requirements from the get-go there won't be overhead further along
More NetIQ Identity Manager reviews from users
1 Comment

author avatarit_user186828 (Senior Consultant - IAM / Security at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees)
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

As long as scope of implementation will be realistic and both planning and implementation resources know the product - NetIQ IDM is choice also to smaller company.