NetIQ Identity Manager Review

Allows data changes and passwords to propagate to applications in real time. The UI is hard to configure.

What is most valuable?

To my knowledge it is the only event based IDM system. Its supporting directory (eDirectory) also has event based replication. This makes it a very 'real time' system. In short, it is event based and not batch based.

How has it helped my organization?

Being event based, it allows data changes and passwords to propagate to applications in real time. This makes business workflows efficient and instant from both a process and technology perspective.

What needs improvement?

The user facing interfaces are not too friendly and they are also fairly hard to configure. Better alerting/monitoring of connectors/data would also be nice.

Three years

Not particularly. My advice would be to ensure ample time is spent on data quality and also on code testing.

Not really. A few issues now and then but patches generally come quick enough.

No, it seems to scale quite well.

Not too bad.

OK. Not up to par with bigger vendors like MS and Cisco.

Any IDM will not be simple unless the environment is simple. We have a large complex environment, so setup was complex. Any IDM would have this.

We used and external systems integrator initially but they were not up to par so an internal team is now being built.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure data quality and code quality is good from the start. Going back over a production environment just makes things hard.