NetIQ Identity Manager Review

​Be more honest about how poorly it runs on Windows servers.

What is our primary use case?

We provision accounts and access through NetIQ. Lifecycle events are triggered by our HCM system which feeds Identity Manager. Identity Manager then feeds other downstream systems such as Active Directory and ServiceNow. We also have NAM (Novell Access Manager) for single sign-on but I did not include that in this review as it is a separate product.

How has it helped my organization?

We learned a lot about what not to do when we implement our next solution. We were implementing an HCM solution at nearly the same time as NetIQ so that was definitely something I would not recommend doing if at all possible.

What is most valuable?

The identity vault, password syncing and self service Password Reset. As seen in another review, I will concur that NetIQ does a good job with password syncing among directories.

What needs improvement?

Be more honest about how poorly it runs on Windows servers. It is optimized for Linux. Just because you can install and run it on Windows doesn’t mean you should, at all. It is a recipe for disaster.

More than five years.

Yes, it does not run well on Windows servers. It is meant to run on a Linux platform.

Yes, it does not scale well and licensing is very expensive. Again, does not run well on Windows so upgrades were a nightmare.

Very poor. We ended up having to contract for support from two other service providers since NetIQ’s support was so poor.

This was our first IAM solution.

Very complex. Again, it does not run very well on Windows and we required a lot of customization to meet our business objectives.

A vendor team helped us through our implementation from Deloitte & Touche Consulting. I wasn't quite as involved with the implementation but have been supporting the solution for about 4 years now so I can't speak to their level of expertise.

Very expensive licensing. Definitely review support and licensing contracts with an attorney to get language less ambiguous and redline accordingly.

We did. We evaluated CA, IBM, Novell (now NetIQ) & Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

Get executive buy-in and know that a tool isn’t going to fix bad processes.

1 Comment
SylvainMaertchikReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Regarding Windows platform & NetIQ IDM, I would say that the directory and the IDM engine install and run smoothly on Windows 2012 & 2016. I have one customer that synchronize more than 10'000 students with NetIQ IDM 4.6 on Windows 2016.

04 March 19