NetIQ Sentinel Review

Valuable features are ​Anomaly dashboards, search/filters features.

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, I used a NetIQ Sentinel when I worked as a Security Analyst as a tool to collecting and filtering-out logs in order to investigating whether there's something "interesting" i.e. samples of real attack or malware activities. Sentinel is tool that if it's well configured, it remove from view all unnecessary information like logs about that the user opened a window in the system and shows you only needful entries. It removes data that can obscure your perspective and mislead in investigation.

Later, I used a NetIQ Sentinel more "administratively", which means that I created/remove/change a new event source and/or also investigate why they hasn't sent anything to log collector. I can tell that from administration perspective the interface of Sentinel is also very simple to operate and navigate. When interface is intuitive as in case of Sentinel, there's no need a special effort to done your job faster, convenient and with high performance.

What is most valuable?

Anomaly dashboards, search/filters features.

Anomaly dashboard provides possibility to find 0-day attacks. This feature is built based on the second-search/filters. It's great and very useful, because I would first find out if search/filter can give me the data that I needed. If not, I have possibility to change it, e.g. using regex or do search/filter fine-tuning. And when I have search/filter tested and know that it will catch information that I want see on chart, then I implement search/filter in new Anomaly dashboard.

The great idea is also fact that I can receive anomaly alerts via email. I don't need to watch charts all the time.

How has it helped my organization?

For example, from version 7.1 the company where I worked started using an anomaly dashboards. It very convenient, because SOC could and can react on possible attack, which are not seen in alerts made by rules. As I said before, anomaly dashboards can help detect a type of attacks called 0-day attacks. 0-day attack is threat haven't categorized as an attack yet and because of that there is no patch or solution, because it's unknown for systems like IDS/IPS.

What needs improvement?

I would prefer to extend dashboards part and their functions in Web GUI version, so the charts could be for configurable.

Efficiency of Security Team