NetIQ Sentinel Review

Stable and works well for certain use cases, but it is inflexible and the technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

NetIQ Sentinel is a security information and event management tool that makes up part of our security solution. We are in the process of migrating to a new solution.

What is most valuable?

The use cases that it was made for, such as server monitoring, worked very well.

What needs improvement?

Frankly speaking, we did not find this product to be valuable, at all.

You need a lot of Unix scripting knowledge in order to manage the tool, which is one of the main issues that we faced.

When we integrated with other log management solutions, the password was not there. We also found it very difficult to create a custom password and in the end, we didn't succeed.

Trying to do something new, outside of use cases like server monitoring, was difficult and we could not do much.

I have been working with NetIQ Sentinel for almost two years.

The stability is phenomenal and we never had any issues with downtime or even had to restart.

This product did not scale for us. I'm not saying that it was a problem with the product but we had trouble finding the skills and knowledge required for this tool. As our environment started growing, we had to buy new tools.

We have had a lot of problems and Micro Focus technical support was not able to help us. They may have different levels of support packages available, but in our experience, we had to write two or three emails back and forth before we got anything reasonable in response. With other vendors, we have a technical account manager that we can reach out to when we are having problems. This is completely missing in NetIQ Sentinel.

We are currently in the process of migrating from NetIQ Sentinel to IBM QRadar.

This product had been implemented by somebody else a few years ago, before I joined the company.

We are a small company with an in-house technical services team.

We inquired about getting support from the vendor, Micro Focus, but the cost was very high.

What other advice do I have?

Whether I would recommend this solution to anyone would depend on their environment. Maybe if they have a hybrid cloud environment then they would not have faced the challenges that we did. As it was on-premises and completely owned by us, we had a lot of trouble with managing the tool. Once it is running, it runs well, but when it comes to adding new devices to it, we always faced issues.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

More NetIQ Sentinel reviews from users