NetScaler Secure Web Gateway Review

A stable web access solution and reverse proxy that is secured with dual authentication

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and we use NetScaler Secure Web Gateway in different solutions that we provide to our customers, as well as within our own organization.

We use NetScaler Gateway for the users who are connecting from external links like site-to-site VPN. People access this as a reverse proxy.

We use this solution on-premises, although six or seven customers of ours will be deploying on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

NetScaler provides a secure gateway for our clients to access their virtual desktops.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is dual authentication, which is good from a security perspective.

It can be used as a reverse proxy.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution is a little bit high and can be improved.

It would be helpful if this solution would collect information about people who are connecting from external devices so that we can rate their user experience in using the virtual desktops. If there are problems on the network, like MPLS links, we should be able to identify that there's a problem. This kind of reporting would provide valuable insights.

We have been using this solution for at least ten years.

This is a very stable product.

This is a scalable solution.

In our company, we have approximately twenty thousand users. On our platform, altogether, we have approximately four hundred thousand people.

The technical support for this product is good.

We did not use another solution prior to NetScaler.

The initial setup is complex.

Initially, there are a lot of firewall ports have to be opened. This solution has a lot of features and in terms of maintenance, it is difficult to get resources because people need to know a lot from the technology perspective. They need to understand networking concepts as well.

We deploy this solution for our customers.

This length of time required for deployment depends on the requirements. We normally deploy in about one week's time. There are some dependencies in opening the firewall for a customer and depending on how complex they are, this might take one month. In other cases, we can do it in less than one day.

We have between fifty and sixty people to perform maintenance, although that is for multiple sites in multiple regions.

Normally we buy perpetual licenses and then the annual maintenance costs are paid yearly, or once every three years. Our annual fees are approximately $80,000 USD.

What other advice do I have?

As the solution is now, we are able to satisfy all of our requirements.

This is a secure product, it is scalable, and the stability is very good. I'm not seeing any downtime. I recommend that people use it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.