NETSCOUT InfiniStreamNG Review

We can track packet latency and see in-between different sites

What is our primary use case?

We use it for troubleshooting application performance issues and monitoring applications.

How has it helped my organization?

A lot of the application owners don't know how their applications work, start to end. You can map application flow and tell application developers exactly where the problem is, then have them develop better code or scale it.

This solution provides us with increased visibility while conducting IT deployments. If we are trying to monitor an application to see its sources (the destination IP addresses), we can get all this from the tool. We can track the packet latency and see in-between different sites.

This solution helps us get to root cause quickly. nGeniusPULSE will alert us, letting us where the problem exists. Then, we can go in and fix that particular problem, instead of sniffing through thousands of packets to see if we can find something.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
  • Customization
  • Support

What needs improvement?

The training classes are great, but they go too fast. You can only get so much out of them. If you have experience with the tool, you can get a little out of the classes. However, if you have no experience, then the classes might be tough. They need to improve the training of the tool.

I have been using this product since version 2.0.

The stability depends on who is using the tool, because you only can get as much out of the tool as you put into it. There are a lot of patches for this particular environment, so you have to keep on them. If you lose track of them, then the product is not useful anymore.

The scalability is good, but it comes at a cost. E.g., if you need 100 InfiniStream because you are sending gigs or terabytes of data to one InfiniStream, then you will have to purchase another InfiniStream, which are not cheap.

The technical support is really good. They will go above and beyond, if you are running into a problem. You can go to a sales engineer, who will engage technical support to help you out.

Previously, if we had huge war room type issues, they would bring in network, server, and database all into one group. Now, with this tool, we can pinpoint and show exactly where the issue is.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

I deployed it myself.

We have seen ROI and will continue to see ROI from this product, as we engage more people on it.

Because we are doing proactive monitoring instead of reactive, the end users don't even see that there is something wrong. We have fixed it before they even know about it.

Since the solution is showing us a holistic picture instead of just looking at packet data, then we can trigger in and see where the actual problem lies. E.g., if we have slow response in an application, it will help us see where the actual issue is happening, on the end user side or is it more server side? Just telling us that it's not network will save a lot of time for another person.

This has helped our application/network uptime, because we are doing proactive versus reactive monitoring. We are fixing stuff before anybody knows about it.

I have looked at other solutions, but I have been with NETSCOUT for so long. I agree with their vision and like where the company is going.

What other advice do I have?

This tool will help you be more proactive.

We use this solution for proactive monitoring of SaaS applications and remote sites. E.g., when the radio is not functioning, nGeniusPULSE will tell us that radio is not functioning. It allows us to go in and address an issue before a user even gets into the office.

The dependency mapping is great because it looks at the passive packet flow. You can pick and map it out through the NG1 server.

The single pane of glass view is good. There are so many different facets or layers to this stuff with a lot of prerequisites before you can get a single pane of glass view.

We do use the solution for unified communication application performance, but I don't have much experience with it.

More NETSCOUT InfiniStreamNG reviews from users