NETSCOUT nGeniusPULSE Review

Increased deployment visibility at a glance tells us the application is working for all sites

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for all our sites' access to applications and services within our organization.

We use the solution for unified communication application performance. We use Dialpad, to make test calls and it helps with uptime and end-user experience. We also use it for proactive monitoring of SaaS applications like Salesforce and Dialpad, which is our VoIP solution.

How has it helped my organization?

nGenius provides us with increased visibility during IT deployments. We are able to see that the application is available and working for all the sites at a glance.

It also gives us a heads-up before we start receiving customer calls that there is an issue. Likewise, we can see that it might be a case that an individual user is having a challenge, not the rest of the organization. It can save us the time needed to troubleshoot networks or the application when the problem is not there. We can then focus more on the end-user's laptop or desktop. In that way, it helps us get to root cause quickly.

The solution has cut our overall troubleshooting time, reducing it by about an hour per situation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the quick glance to see how our application services and network are working. I like the single pane of glass view. I like being able to go to one place instead of having to hunt around for everything.

What needs improvement?

In terms of additional features, I would like to see better event notification. Right now, we put in an email address to receive an alert and it receives every event and every alert that comes out. We need something a little more granular.

Overall, there is room for improvement by having more granularity in the reporting, visualization, and alerts.

The stability is good. We did have some initial issues with the endpoints losing their IPs for some reason, but the latest update that just came out seems to have fixed that.

It seems to be very scalable. We've pretty much hit almost every site in our organization, which is over 100 sites.

Technical support is very quick. They're very responsive and knowledgeable about everything we've asked so far.

We've been bringing our LAN, WAN, and application support back in-house. The contracted vendor that we used before, their systems, are very antiquated and out of date. We needed to provide our own, and that's how we came to nGenius.

I came in towards the end of the setup, but it seemed to be pretty straightforward.

We did not use an outside resource for the setup.

I can't say that we've seen anything quite yet, but I can see it coming.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend nGenius to colleagues who are looking for this kind of solution. It's fairly quick and easy to implement, rolling out the endpoints and configuring it. It does give you pretty good information for a very simple setup.

Regarding a decrease in mean time to know or mean time to repair, and similarly when it comes to the solution increasing our application or network uptime, we haven't been monitoring that as we're still integrating it into our support staff.

The solution is an eight out of ten. The PULSE was an acquisition from Fluke and I feel that NETSCOUT is still building it into their methodology and level, like nGeniusONE.