NETSCOUT vSTREAM Review

Troubleshooting at the packet level helps us resolve issues more quickly

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for NETSCOUT is troubleshooting at the packet level. We are a reseller, so we see every use case.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution provides increased visibility during an IT deployment. It enables us to troubleshoot a service when it is down.

As we expand our company, more users are using the tool to quickly resolve issues. It helps us and them get to root cause quickly. For example, last week a DNS was not running anymore. We checked the packet and saw that there was a buffer overload. It has cut our overall troubleshooting time. Sometimes it took a month to troubleshoot something that we can now do within days.

nGenius has helped increase application or network uptime. The DNS I mentioned is now a better server with more capacity than before, because of our troubleshooting.

We see a measurable decrease in mean time to know and mean time to repair. We see that when our customers are using this tool, their stability on the link is getting better and better, every time they use it.

Also, we use the solution for unified communication application performance and it helps with uptime and end-user experience. Sometimes the quality of voice calls is not good enough, so we use the Media Monitor to check the quality in real-time.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is the packet decoding.

Also, the single pane of glass view is really good. Because I open the monitoring, the http monitoring, for example, and then I go to the session and then to the packets, I only use a single view.

We use the dashboard to help us with proactive monitoring of SaaS applications and remote sites, to see if problems are going to happen.

What needs improvement?

In terms of additional features, I would like to see Diameter fragmentation and IPSec decoding.

Room for improvement exists in filtering in the packet decode.

The stability is okay, but sometimes we see that the memory on the server is not 100 percent correct and we need to stop and start the software to have it reallocated again.

The scalability is okay because we can deploy more vSTREAMs in the solution on a regular basis. When we deploy a new vSTREAM, we connect it, and we have a new link in a matter of days.

Technical support is okay. On occasion, it can take a long time for an issue to go through to the engineering level. But we use our SE to escalate it more quickly.

The initial setup is straightforward. We do the deployments almost every week for another customer. For us, it's in our hands, in our fingers.

Licensing is quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

As a reseller, can troubleshoot for customers with NETSCOUT, as an audit.

We are doing capacity planning with the probes, and if we see that probe interface is running too high, has too much load, we sell a new InfiniStream to the customer and we load-balance the link between the InfiniStreams.