Netskope Private Access Review

A perfect solution that provides security and protection, improves the latency, and is very easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We're one of the handful of partners in Canada for Netskope. We're a platinum partner, and we do the architecture design and provide other services to our clients. We also use this solution internally because my company is 100% SaaS, and DLP, governance, and all that stuff is very important to me.

How has it helped my organization?

They have improved the end-user experience as people are working from home. It is a huge platform for secure remote workers. One of the big issues that people have with Microsoft 365 is how poor the latency is. When we show clients that they are not only secure and protected, they are also going to improve their latency because they are not even going to be using the actual network, and they are going to use Netskope's 200 points of presence to securely access 365, people are kind of blown away.

What is most valuable?

With private access or next-gen VPN, they are able to keep you secure, but they are invisible in terms of how they do it. Anybody working from home and trying to bring up VPN quickly can pretty much get VPN up and running in a matter of minutes because this doesn't require any VPN technology on-prem. All the VPN technologies that you're using to access applications on-premise can be eliminated by using their software. If you're accessing Microsoft 365 or salesforce.com, you can go straight out from your home office or home internet to that application rather than having to come through a VPN. It still has all the policies enforced, and it mitigates any business risks in terms of how that user is accessing that application and what they're doing inside of it. VPN piece is really critical, especially at this time of Covid, and your latency also goes down.

Your latency gets better by using the platform because they're intercepting your traffic, routing it through their local data center, and then sending it to whichever SaaS service or whatever you're going to. It does it better, faster, and quicker with all your governance policies enforced, rather than you having to go through your data center. So, all the traffic gets hauls there, and then that traffic has got to route somewhere else, and then it has got to go up to the cloud. Your latency actually goes down. They can guarantee 15 milliseconds or less pretty much across anywhere on the planet for about 95% or 90% of it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them go down the path of including SD-WAN. Currently, they don't do SD-WAN. If they could somehow natively do that inside of the platform, that would be amazing. I don't know if they're going to do it, but it would be amazing if they do.

I have been using this solution for two years.

There is a cloud GUI, and we push out the link from the company or internally through the mobile device management (MDM) platform. People just simply click on the link, or it can be just automatically enforced and loaded onto all the devices. It is a very lightweight link that takes up nearly no CPU.

What other advice do I have?

They do one software or one platform. They are the leading CASBY platform in the world. What they can do, nobody can do. They've advanced their software over the last several years to allow people to also do secure web gateway. Now, they're competing with Zscaler, but Zscaler can't do CASBY the way they do.

There is private access VPN, and there's also a feature for a public cloud. For a public cloud, they can continuously monitor or assess any misconfiguration in AWS EC2 instances, Azure, or Google, and correct it. They are also expanding. They can also help you with compliance. Let's say that MIS3 was secure on February 4th and didn't have any misconfigurations, they can do compliance based on the audit trail or breadcrumb trail. It is probably coming sometime this summer, and it is their version of the next-gen firewall. To do what they can do with one software, Palo Alto had to buy seven companies for their Prisma Platform.

I would rate Netskope Private Access a ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Netskope, Zscaler, Okta and others in ZTNA as a Service. Updated: March 2021.
475,129 professionals have used our research since 2012.