Netskope Review

The most valuable feature for us is the 360-degree visibility it provides for our cloud applications.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us is the 360-degree visibility it provides. Now I have the ability to see what’s coming and going in the organization from a cloud application perspective. I had no visibility into that whatsoever and with this now I can see what’s coming, what’s going. The ability to see our apps compare multiple apps that are the same time, for example, like Box and Dropbox, I can actually compare them to see which is a better fit. I can see uptimes and I can assess risk to them based on things that are important to us and not just the industry.

It’s very adjustable to the things that I want, which might be different than the things that you want and different than things that other companies want. For us being a company that deals with patient data, you can imagine that it's really important to us that we have a company that’s got, for example, a SOX certification. If you are a company that doesn’t view all that kind of sensitive data, you don’t really care. In just seconds I can go on to Netskope and see exactly what the situation is.

Improvements to My Organization

It gives us visibility. When we saw how many applications that we had, there was a huge gap between what we thought we had and what we were actually using.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to have slider bars that allow you to adjust the tool to your risk appetite. For example, we're able to adjust the bar to select the five "must have" vendors so that they're accessible based on the stock report as "must haves". I'd like this functionality to allow us to adjust the products based on our standard contract language. For example, we use Salesforce and we use Box.com, and it would be great if I can go on there and say, Salesforce or Box we have a negotiated uptime of 99.5%. That way when their tool sees that Box is not available for whatever reason and it’s not on us, it can send us a flag saying, “Over this last quarter we’ve recorded Box not being available two percent of the time, which has dropped their availability below the 99.5% threshold that you’ve configured, and therefore you might want to reach out to that.” That would be fantastic.

One of the things that we are starting to do more and more of is have direct connection to our vendors through our data centers. I’m not exactly sure how they integrate when that happens. This is just an open question, there is no answer, there is no right or wrong here. It’s something that I’m interested in knowing.

I would say the other piece that I would like is reporting. In the past, I’ve been able to compare multiple vendors, so I could compare Dropbox to Box to Office365 storage. I haven’t been able to export that data out of the tool in the same way that I view it in the portal. The business units that are coming and saying “Hey, we are looking at a whatever tool and these are the three products that we are looking at, can you give me a report of them?” It’s this process of sort of explosion. We didn’t expect to find the tool useful in this particular area, but we’re seeing this a lot. When I show them what I can do on the screen, they love it, but when I go to print it looks different. That’s something I’d really to see change.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for two years now.

It's been 100% stable. We’ve never had a glitch with it.

I don’t have a good answer for you beyond what we have set up. We have a major office in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have an office in Geneva and we have some other data centers scattered throughout the world, some smaller offices. We are able to cover them with really no issues whatsoever. I have zero concerns that this product is not going to meet our needs as we continue to grow.

They've been both knowledgeable and proactive, and that's why we bought Netskope. I really like the fact that I can pick up the phone and call Netskope and get someone on the line that’s going to have an interest in my issue.

We were not using anything before. We recognized that the whole cloud space and cloud applications was a major hole which we assumed was a massive vulnerability for us, and sure enough it was. I mean there was hundreds of applications we didn’t even know the company was using. We identified this as a big blind spot and we were able remediate it.

We did everything in-house and it was really smooth and simple. We didn’t do blocking right away. We turned it on just to gather intelligence about the organization. Who is using what? How are they using it? Then we gradually moved into blocking or coaching or diverting, etc.

Other Advice

Do not be surprised by the results. Do not jump off the cliff when you get that first report because I haven’t talked to anybody that’s deployed this product or even a similar competitive product that was not surprised by the result.

Do not try and eat the cow in one bite. Take it slow and steady because if you try and turn it on and immediately it impacts the end user, you’re probably not going to be successful. There is a little bit of a learning curve and you could block everything. If you try to drink from the fire hose, you just can’t do it.

Give yourself some time as you buy it and deploy it to get acclimated to it. Do take baby steps and I think that you’ll find that you’ll actually get the implementation done quicker doing that than if you try to just turn it on.