Netsurion EventTracker Review

SIEMphonic gives us an expert set of eyes on things, and assistance with rules has been a huge time saver

What is our primary use case?

It's a system incident and event management platform. The typical use cases that go along with that are alerting and syslog aggregation.

How has it helped my organization?

Their run-and-watch service (now renamed SIEMphonic) has saved from having to hire at least one FTE. In addition, having an expert set of eyes on things and their assistance with rules has been a huge time saver. They've been a really good partner.

We are logging everything from Windows client workstations through our server stack, through important, critical web and cloud pieces, like Office 365 logs and web server logs. The latter would include IIS and Apache. All of that information is being streamed directly into, and assimilated by, the EventTracker product. It seems to be doing the job quite well. Having that visibility into the data is useful. Their interface is simple enough for us to be able to use but advanced enough that if we wanted to do some more advanced queries — which some of their competitors admittedly do a little better out-of-the-box — it hits the wheelhouse perfectly.

We're signed up for their weekly observations, so if they find something big they're going to notify us immediately. But having a management-level synopsis once a week has allowed us to not only replace the one FTE, but also streamline our prioritization of work, based off that data, as well.

What is most valuable?

Other than the log aggregation and alerting, their reports modules have come a long way. But for the most part, we stay right in the wheelhouse of the product to use it to the fullest extent.

The previous version, version 8, had a somewhat antiquated UI. The new version 9 is much easier to use and brings it into the current realm of development. It's very easy, very sleek, and designed relatively well. The version 8 to version 9 upgrade was complete night-and-day. It's significantly improved, and they're putting resources into it to make sure that they continue to stay up to date.

I like EventTracker's dashboard. I see it every time I log in because it's the first thing you get to. We have our own widgets that we use. For the sake of transparency, there are a few widgets that we look at there and then we move out from there. We're into the product looking more at the log information at that point. Among the particularly helpful widgets, the not-reporting widget is a big one. The number-of-logs-processed is also a good one. We call that log volume. They're helpful, but we try to dig in a little deeper, off the dashboard, more often than not.

What needs improvement?

In terms of advanced queries, I wouldn't say EventTracker is lagging behind its peers. The latter just make it easier to get to them. EventTracker is designed more for a small to medium type business, which is where we fit. With a competitive tool like Splunk or LogRhythm, you're not going to get what you get with these guys out-of-the-box. With EventTracker, you're going to have to build all that yourself from scratch. You're going to have to learn that markup language to do so.

I want to stress: We're very happy with not having to deal with that out-of-the-gate. If we need to, we can always call support and they can assist us in writing those more advanced queries. The functionality exists to do advanced queries, they're just not right in your face like they are in a competitive product. But for us, that's what we want.

There's always room for improvement in terms of performance and alerting options. It would be great if they had a client for phones by which they could push a notification to us, as opposed to via email. But those are all things that they'll grow into over time.

We've been using EventTracker for just a smidge over three years.

It has been extremely stable. Very rarely do we even realize that it's still running, and that's good.

We did have a few concerns with the scalability in the beginning. Our initial concerns were about scaling it and, if we blew it out, were we going to run into performance issues with their agent piece using too many resources on the client or running out of space on the server? But those concerns proved to be unfounded. We have 700 or 800 endpoints streaming data into it without any noticeable performance or any other issues.

We're using it almost to its full extent at this point. We're in that 90 percent range. We currently don't have any plans to move away from it. We're utilizing the features that pertain to us. Anytime that there's a patch or release, we look at the new features to see if they're applicable for us.

The EventTracker team itself has been great. We can call them for pretty much anything related to their product. They will offer suggestions, advice, and best practices on ways to do things. It's like having another team member here at our disposal, working with their product. I believe that is their standard tech support.

We're paying for the run-and-watch (SIEMphonic) so we're getting an extra set of eyes on things, but when we call in, their support is top-notch. I would give their support team a 10 out of 10. That is a given. Of all the products and vendors that we've used, I've never had a more positive experience with a support team than with EventTracker's support team.

We did not have a previous solution. We do annual audits, and the lack of a SIEM showed up in one of our audits as a piece that we needed to start investigating, four or five years ago. We knew that issue was coming. We were too busy dealing with some other things, but when it showed up in the audit, we pushed it up the priority food-chain. We weren't really having any issues by not having a SIEM, but having all the logs in one place sure makes troubleshooting a whole lot easier. if there was an Achilles heel, that was it.

We were looking for an easy-to-manage SIEM that provided the functionality that we needed. Since we're a relatively small IT staff, the part that really made EventTracker stand out to us was the run-and-watch service (SIEMphonic), where they are an active partner, reviewing the data that we get, so we don't miss anything. They're acting as a backstop to us.

The initial setup was completely painless. They gave us a spec sheet for the on-premise server. We built a VM that matched that spec, and they then installed their software and got it up and running. We could be as involved or as uninvolved as we wanted to be; that was our choice. When it came to deploying the client pieces, they worked with us to identify which machine should get it and when. They took care of the pushing of that information out. When we started getting the data in, and it came time to start tweaking the rules, they took the lead on that as well. It really, truly was a painless process.

The deployment took less than a week. We had an analyst at that time who was running point on it. I wasn't even involved. I didn't need to be involved in it at that level. One of our entry-level analysts was able to work with them to get everything caught up.

I and one analyst are involved in the day-to-day maintenance of the application. Our entire IT staff, nine people, uses it for log review and incident correlation. We try to put the information out there for the rest of our team members to use.

We have been able to save at least one full FTE. The amount we would have to pay that FTE, including benefits, is way more than what we're paying EventTracker for the annual maintenance. It had a positive return on investment almost immediately for us.

Our cost is significantly less than what it would have been for one of the competitor's products, and that includes the run-and-watch service (SIEMphonic). You can go with one-, two-, or three-year agreements. We pay annually for maintenance on the product.

When we acquired EventTracker, we went through an assessment process, reviewing five or six different manufacturers of SIEMs. The frontrunners were the typical players: Splunk and LogRhythm. There were a couple of freeware options out there, but what really set EventTracker apart was their SIEMphonic. That was the big differentiator. We were able to get much more value for our money, and it met all the requirements that we had set out when we started the research.

There weren't really major differences between EventTracker and the other players. Ultimately, SIEMs do the same things. They collect logs, they index those logs, and they make them searchable. There's not really a difference on the surface.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson really isn't an EventTracker lesson, it's more of a SIEM lesson. And that lesson is: It's a lot of data. When you have a lot of data, it's going to take a while to study and learn that data, so you can react appropriately. Not all data is actionable.

Be prepared for the data. Be prepared to know what you didn't know before. And be prepared to weed out the noise from the actual data. That's where EventTracker's SIEMphonic becomes very helpful. My advice would be, if you're going to go with EventTracker, to go with the SIEMphonic service and leverage their support team to get your knowledge up to speed. So far, our experience with their support has been top-notch.

In terms of how we view EventTracker, we're typically just in a browser, so it's on whatever our standard is. I've got a couple of 20-inch monitors on my desk. It's sleek enough that it will work on a normal 15-inch laptop screen too. I have not looked at it on mobile yet, given the fact that it's an on-premise service. If I'm in the building, getting VPN'ed in across my phone is a little tough. But that would be the next iteration of the product, if we would decide to push up towards the cloud instead of being on-prem. We would definitely be looking for some sort of a mobile or a tablet-based mobile interface.

We have not integrated EventTracker with other products. Our service-desk tool is a tool called Samanage, which was recently acquired by SolarWinds and has been renamed Solar Winds Service Desk. We have not integrated anything with that since SolarWinds acquired it, because we wanted to see what SolarWinds was going to do with it. Integrating it into EventTracker is on the list. We'll do it if it makes sense.

I never rate anything a 10 out of 10, because nothing is ever perfect. But this solution would be at the upper end of that range. This partnership with EventTracker has been one of our better ones.

More Netsurion EventTracker reviews from users