New Relic APM Review

Tight integration, great service mapping, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

I'm working with a banking client. Apart from a uniform monitoring platform experience, they are looking for a solution that is scalable and also ready for cloud services monitoring and container-based workloads.

How has it helped my organization?

NewRelic provides a one-stop shop monitoring solution for organizations that are looking for 360 degree monitoring solution. Application, Infrastructure, Network, Database, Enduser monitoring, Mobile everything under one roof. Apart from that, as per Gartner Magic quadrant, NewRelic is among the top leaders.

What is most valuable?

The one thing that I like the most is the tight integration between different layers like APM, Infrastructure, Logging etc.. I don't have to go to a different UI to view different metrics. Secondly, health maps and service maps helps to evaluate the overall health of all the applications and any dependencies.

With Insights, I can create some powerful impactful dashboard that gives organization the business value they expect from the data collected from different data sources

What needs improvement?

The solution needs some sort of improvement on the synthetic monitoring site.

The product has good documentation for Linux, however, their documentation for Windows is lacking substantially. It's something they need to develop and mature over time.

It would be great if it had out of the box integration with AWS, GCP, and other clouds. For example, if I'm using BigQuery in GCP, I want the data that I am executing in BigQuery to be reflected in New Relic.

I'm working for a client where I'm proposing NewRelic solution to them. They have been looking for an intelligent monitoring solution that can provide a uniform monitoring platform experience to monitor application performance, infrastructure, end-user experience where NewRelic is the best fit.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have any issues there. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash. It's reliable.

The solution is both scalable and fast. We have no complaints about it at all in that regard.

It's multitenant on the cloud which helps make it very easy to expand as needed.

I've found technical support to be pretty good. They accept the new feature ideas quite readily and their SLA is also very good.

I kind of have worked on different tools, but then no one has provided a unified solution. I've worked on ELK, Sumologic for centralize logging specifically. I've also worked with Splunk.

AppDynamics also provides these features, but I have not explored AppDynamics so much.

The solution is straightforward to set up. It's not a complex implementation. They are more compatible on Linux side of things, however.

They need to provide more documentation for Windows. For example, I was trying the New Relic logs feature yesterday, and they have very good documentation for Linux, and can explain quite well how to do log forwarding on Linux. Then, for Windows, they do not have that specific documentation. I was stuck and I haven't worked on it today due to this lack of documentation.

The pricing is reasonable. APM is a bit on the higher side, however, their service offering is quite good.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is more mature than a lot of options on the market. If a company is looking for something that offers a unified scalable solution where they can monitor everything in one place, then NewRelic is definitely the option they should look out for.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More New Relic APM reviews from users
...who compared it with Datadog
Learn what your peers think about New Relic APM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.