New Relic APM Review
Great monitoring product. Potential privacy and security issues but the cons might just be too tempting not to try it..

Valuable Features:

New Relic has proven itself as a very reliable and convenient way to monitor your servers and applications. Compared to other cloud-based offerings, New Relic is easy to install and provides a lot of information to you in a very convenient and easy to understand dashboard.I chose to test drive New Relic after seeing the graphs from a fellow sysad. I was amazed at the level of information and detail that I saw that I decided to try it out myself. What's even more impressive is that you can share monitoring servers or apps with other members of New Relic. Notifications are also available via email, and all of the notifications for my servers and services arrive on time. This allows me to immediately check what is happening and take appropriate action if necessary.

Room for Improvement:

One major issue for me with New Relic is data privacy. Though installation is a breeze for most operating systems, the thought of installing a monitoring application and seeing a lot of information about my servers or applications somewhere is somewhat nerve-wracking. Right now, I do not know what other information is being sent to New Relic's servers and I don't have any control as to what is being monitored and sent. This can be a major issue for some companies, and care must be taken is there is no settings page presented during installation to enable or disable certain parameters for monitoring.Overall, New Relic is a great product is recommended for use. Just make sure that you understand the potential privacy and data theft issues associated with cloud-based services.

Other Advice:

Personally, I would like to have an options pages during installation detailing what can be monitored and allow me to only select certain parameters to be reported. Also, network usage of the tool should also be profiled as it might consume a significant amount of your bandwidth if you have many servers being monitored.
4 visitors found this review helpful