New Relic APM Review

The performance report on which controllers are taking the longest and which parts of the application are consuming the most resources are valuable.

What is most valuable?

At the moment, I think the aspect of their product is the most useful to us: server monitoring. We actually display the status of our servers continually in our dashboard (using https://Screensaver.Ninja) because that's a critical aspect of our operation. This is only true because our most used product is not gaining new features as we are re-writing it from scratch, but while we were developing new features, their performance report on which controllers are taking the longest and which parts of the application are consuming the most resources is incredibly useful.

How has it helped my organization?

Very simple, using server monitoring. I saw over a period of time our disk usage increase until some servers went into yellow alert (above 70%). Then we started working on this issue without a rush because we knew we had time, and instead of increasing the size of our servers and thus having extra cost, we managed to find how to reduce our storage footprint to fit within our current servers. Constantly seeing the green status of all my servers makes me sleep well at night.

What needs improvement?

I think their dev packages for server monitoring could handle configuration a bit better. We install upgrades and patches every day and their packages seems to require manual intervention due to the configuration file more often than other packages. Since we use Puppet, it's trivial for us to deal with it, but sometimes we do have to look at the configuration file to figure out whether something really changed or not. To be fair, this hasn't happened in a while, so maybe they improved it already.

I've used it for five years over multiple projects in multiple companies.

No issues encountered.

I don't think I ever needed it, no.

I don't think I ever needed it, no.

I don't think New Relic has a lot of competition. We also use Linode to monitor our servers (but not our app).

I think this is one of the aspects in which New Relic shines. They designed the product to be easy to install and integrate, it's part of their guiding philosophy and probably what made me try it in the first place.

I implemented it myself.

We are happy with the free version, so I never properly evaluated this.

New Relic is not cheap, but I have a few colleagues that need the paid accounts, and although it hurts, generally not having New Relic hurts more.

Not really.

What other advice do I have?

Just go ahead and try it.