New Relic APM Review

It provides on-demand profiling, allows for ApDex/error monitoring, and we're able to quickly identify how our product behaves in production.

Valuable Features

• On-demand profiling – This gives us the ability to execute a thread profiler on demand and get a very in depth view of call costs
  • ApDex/Error monitoring – As a dev-ops solution, this is a great tool because we’re able to help predict issues before the end-user starts notifying us. We can set thresholds that are based on our metrics

Improvements to My Organization

We are now able to quickly identify how our product behaves in production. Before New Relic APM, we would push a build, and try to dig through a plethora of information (event logs, error messages, customer feedback, etc) to find problem spots. Instead, we now publish and can see all the key stats (apdex, response time, error rate, etc.) and quickly drill into what’s causing an issue.

Room for Improvement

More configurability through the dashboard, for example, being able to ignore transactions without the need to update the config or code.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for two years and alongside Insights for one year.

No issues encountered.

Really high. While we’ve never had any major issue, the ticket I’ve opened have received responses within a couple hours with quality answers.

We didn’t use any other solutions prior to this.

It was straightforward. On each of our servers, we installed the agent, added our key to a config, and then within minute we were seeing metrics on our site.

Implementation Team

In-house. Always start with your development or QA environment. While we had no issues, it’s best to take a dry run, and get a feel for how the app affects performance to see if the data is what you’re looking for.

ROI

I have no hard numbers detailing how much we get back for what we pay. However, as a dev-ops tool, it has been priceless. We are now able to pinpoint issues much quicker and can significantly reduce our downtime.

Other Solutions Considered

We did evaluate one additional tool but the install and integration was significantly more cumbersome. The core reason we chose New Relic was the ease of us and the quality of the metrics it gave us. Within hours of demoing the product, we were already learning more about our application than we expected.

1 visitor found this review helpful