New Relic APM Review

​We get greater insight into what our application is doing once it’s in production, although some of the aggregates over time tend to become more vague, so you lose resolution.

Valuable Features:

The way some transactions are recorded, you can dig through and see what’s going on with the request, how many times you’re making a certain call. That’s the biggest part – almost like application profiling.

Improvements to My Organization:

We get greater insight into what our application is doing once it’s in production. We can identify issues faster, and being able to identify issues before they become a big problems is an improvement. We use it in load testing to identify inefficient query patterns.

Room for Improvement:

At times some of the data can be opaque. Some of the aggregates over time tend to become more vague, so you lose resolution. Greater resolution going further back in time would be nice. If I start going back a month or two, the resolution is a lot lower, which is kind of challenging and makes it harder to do in-depth historical analysis.

Use of Solution:

Alongside APM, we're using New Relic servers, plugins, and pretty much everything else except Insights, Synthetics, or the mobile product.

Stability Issues:

Pretty stable. Sometimes the charts will fail to load or there are some random errors. But because of the way we use APM, there’s no significant impact.

Scalability Issues:

Our use doesn’t really push the limits of New Relic, but it looks like it will scale just fine.

Initial Setup:

It was already in production when I joined the company.

Other Advice:

I don’t see us being able to operate without New Relic. It’s important to collect a lot of metrics, but it’s more important to identify the ones that are essential to your business purposes. Know which data are really important and what you should keep an eye on.