New Relic APM Review

It gives us instant feedback on incidences causing the biggest performance hits. However, alerts for alerting the appropriate people when something goes wrong are not quite there yet.

Valuable Features

I think the downtime alerts as well as the insight into performance killers from database queries are the most valuable feature for us.

Improvements to My Organization

I think that we didn’t have much insight into which things were causing the biggest performance hits, so it gave us instant feedback on incidents which may have caused users enough pain.

Room for Improvement

They have integrated alert and performance monitoring which they’re rolling out as a beta now. A lot of the features for application monitoring and uptime, and alerts for alerting the appropriate people when something goes wrong are not quite there yet.

We’ve never had any problems whatsoever.

It’s been useful as we’ve grown our user base; we haven’t had any scalability issues. We’ve done tens of thousands rather than tens of millions of transactions.

I’ve only used it a couple of times. They escalated the issues appropriately and it always seemed like someone who understood the issue jumped on the ticket, and we’ve had the issued resolved in a timely fashion.

We were previously using nothing else. We were reading through logs trying to interpret our own data, which was challenging. Someone suggested New Relic and we went with it right after; they’re the only player in town for this sort of environment.

The initial ground level setup was very easy, very intuitive, and went very quickly. Some of the more advanced features did require a lot of review of their documentation and a few support tickets to figure out.

Other Solutions Considered

I think documentation is probably key for us, and then support. Reputation and long-term relationship doesn’t matter so much if they have a good product. For this product we didn’t really have a viable alternative. We couldn’t find anybody else who did something similar.

Other Advice

We’re very satisfied with it. We had a little difficulty plugging in some more of the advanced features. It’s so big and so complex, but New Relic does invest in education.

This is the best tool for gaining insight into SaaS or cloud-based applications that we’ve seen. Unless you’re going to roll your own solution, you pretty much have to use them.