New Relic APM Review

It provides us a clear understanding of where the problems are and so the people responsible can solve the issues, although the stack traces don’t go far enough, ending in just a question mark.

Valuable Features

For the way we use it, we like the monitoring of websites and it allows us to look at the trace stacks to identify problems. We’re also able to compare the day and the week before to see whether problems are reoccurring.

Improvements to My Organization

Before New Relic, dev and ops were separate, and now they’ve come together more and there’s less finger-pointing. There’s a clear understanding of where the problems are and so the people responsible can solve the issues. There’s more trust between the two groups and people are more willing to work together.

Room for Improvement

Stack traces don’t go far enough. They get to a point, indicate a question mark, and then stop. But New Relic is working on it. Also, one can get lost in the data.

Use of Solution

We’ve been using it for two to two and a half year.

We've had one or two occasions of a few wide spaces in the graphs where the response time didn’t keep up. Sometime it’s a bit slow in processing data, but now it’s much faster and more stable with new releases. Some of the releases I think are already there in production.

We’ve been able to scale without issue. We’ve installed it and it works.

I haven’t had to use technical support. When we decided to use it, our CTO went to FutureStack and got a lot of knowledge.

So easy, very straightforward. Our developers, at the beginning, created some templates for data they wanted to track and that was it.

Other Advice

Just go for it. When I show people what it can do, it’s mind boggling. What’s coming up in the new release -- wow!