New Relic APM Review

We can see exactly what’s going on and are able to understand what code paths are running, though I'd like dashboard customization to display collection jobs and how they break out one by one.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is the transparency into how applications are running. That’s huge because we previously didn’t have it and we had no idea what was going on. Now, we can see exactly what’s going on and are able to understand what code paths are running. That stuff is hugely beneficial to us.

Improvements to My Organization

The biggest thing is being able to give our customers a world-class experience. As we’re in media, this means things like hockey results, election results, favorite TV shows, etc. We’re able to cover all our bases to make sure our customers get what they love.

Room for Improvement

When I look at APM now, it’s very web-centric, but we have certain infrastructure components that are very service-based which take data from one area to another. With APM, it’s a little difficult to fit into that. So, what I’d like to see is the ability for the dashboard to be customized where it can display collection jobs and how they break out one by one.

It also needs some web UI tweaks. It’ll be interesting to see where it evolves with the “analytics everywhere” theme and incorporation of all the other items.

There are no stability problems. There have been slow points where data loads slowly, but it can be solved just by clicking refresh. No problems with agents crashing or not reporting data. So no reason for me to worry about its stability. I never have to worry about not collecting data.

It’s scaled to all our needs. We have apps for on-site and in-cloud, and it’s worked well for both.

We haven’t had to reach out yet, and hopefully things keep going smoothly.

Other Advice

It’s easy to use, has a low barrier of entry, you can craft custom instrumentations, and craft your own metrics to get your own details out of it.