New Relic APM Review

We've been able to automate a lot of our interactions with it. I think that there have been some questionable product enhancements, such as new navigation that requires a lot of clicks.

Improvements to My Organization

We've been able to automate a lot of our interactions with it. Also, it has the ability to monitor random URLs not tied to the one pinger per application (though it costs extra).

Room for Improvement

I think that there have been some questionable product enhancements. Over a year ago, New Relic rolled out a new navigation that really disrupted our workflow. It added many more clicks and was surprisingly frustrating. Luckily, that was mostly reverted, but more recently, around six months ago, they redesigned the error reporting page. This is another example of a tool that worked fine, but which is now very hard to use.

About six months to a year ago, we invested a lot of time automating a lot of our interactions with New Relic. However, their API couldn't do a lot of things, and even getting a list of errors was impossible without scrubbing every application/server manually and checking health conditions yourself. This seems very basic. While they have made a new API version, we've had difficulty with that as well.

Additionally, I'm told that they will deprecate completely the old API, which now means I need to reimplement everything that was working in this new version.

Use of Solution

Three to five years.

It's been a stable product. We haven't had any issues with instability.

It's scaled for our needs. We haven't had any issues with scalability.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Cost is significant with a lot of extras. For instance, another big negative point is the inability to monitor random URLs not tied to the one pinger per application. They've added it which is great, but now it costs extra for using it in any real capacity.