New Relic APM Review
It monitors all our systems and is reliable

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application and infrastructure monitoring. It covers all of our systems, including our main eCommerce system.

How has it helped my organization?

As soon as it monitors all our systems and is integrated with PagerDuty, the operations team just needs to wait for alerts on their cellphones to fix things.

What is most valuable?

It's reliable, and the APM is the best of the market today.

What needs improvement?

I would like if it could have predictive analysis. Today, we only have the option to configure thresholds.

In addition, it would be nice to have centralized log management, like Datadog does. As New Relic already has all of the application information and traces, it could compare them with application logs and do better analysis.

Thus, it could be cheaper, have predictive analysis and log management.

It supports our Black Friday week, when our requests increase about 500 percent. It's very stable.

We never had any issue with scalability. It is perfect. It currently monitors about 150 EC2 instances and several AWS services.

For the integration and configuration of New Relic in our AWS environment, we need to install an agent on all the EC2 instances to get the APM working. Also, it has an IAM user on the AWS Management Console, allowing for AWS metrics and for it to monitor other services.

We renewed our contract directly with New Relic since our systems were hosted on on-premise data centers.

The new licensing model is great, as we pay for what we use (in computational units). However, the pricing is expensive compared to other tools.

What other advice do I have?

It easily integrates with PagerDuty, our on-call management and notification system.