New Relic Synthetics Review

Good drill-down functionality let us see through to SQL code, and it integrates well with Slack

What is our primary use case?

We were using New Relic Synthetics to test our application, which retrieved data from the web on a daily basis. Our second use case was that it helped us to isolate any bad code.

You put the hooks in for the website as a database, and you can drill down into all of the offending code. You can even go down into the SQL. We were running an Oracle database and I was the DBA, so the SQL level was my responsibility.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature was drill-downs. I was able to use it to drill-down into the SQL, get the response time, as well as the allocation based on IO, CPU, and the other resources attached to the SQL queries.

We were able to integrate with the messaging tool, Slack, which meant that we got notifications whenever something was not quite right.

What needs improvement?

There are certain features that are not supported in New Relic, such as CATSEARCH, which allows you to do a full-text search. Certain things like this would have helped me a little bit.

We used New Relic Synthetics for at least a year, up until the end of 2019.

It's a stable solution and we never had a problem with it.

Prior to New Relic, we were using some Oracle tools such as AWR. Although they were useful, they were not really proactive. New Relic is a more proactive tool, as it were.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but it was done in-house by one person. It took at least half a week to complete it. This included setting up the service, and Slack integration. It took a nice amount of time, in total.

I loved this product, but we can no longer afford it, so we dropped it.

What other advice do I have?

Honestly, at first, I was very hesitant about using this product. My advice is to learn to use it and learn all of the features because it has many of them, not all of which are documented, but they work wonders. For us, they really helped a lot.

Find out what your peers are saying about New Relic, Instana, Datadog and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: February 2021.
464,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.