NGINX Plus Review

Valuable features include authentication, caching, reverse proxy routing, and load balancing

What is our primary use case?

By far the best solution for web traffic control - in production and just around the house.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used it in every project since 2013, setting it as our standard. Our organization is able to use it effectively in multiple applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would be the following:

• Reverse proxy routing
  • Authentication
  • Caching
  • The ability to manipulate requests and responses
  • Load balancing, etc.

What needs improvement?

I would say ModSecurity 3.0 for NGINX Core, but they just released that.

The biggest room for improvement would be to allow NGINX Core machines to cluster for memory zones in some way with a Plug and Play module.

More than five years.

No issues. Never.

No issues. Never.

I have never had to use it. However, the community is very strong and supportive. I often answer people's questions on Reddit, etc.

When I was young, I used Apache2, because that is all I knew. I switched to NGINX once I learned of it. That's the story.

The initial setup is straightforward for those who are used to reverse proxies and/or load balancer terminology. The NGINX default install sets up an example web server, modifying it from there is very straightforward, and their documentation is fairly good.

NGINX Plus is worth it, if you need it. If you do not need the features or support, the free and open source package is more than capable.

I have evaluated many types of products that fall into this category. They are all far less superior than NGINX: F5 BIG-IP, HAProxy, Apache2, and IIS. I am sure the list goes on.

What other advice do I have?

Install it, test it out, download, and read this free ebook: https://www.nginx.com/resources/library/complete-nginx-cookbook/.

I use this product on AWS. I would suggest the ELB/ALB sandwich model. There is a section in the ebook about this model.

Personally, I have written a book for O'Reilly Media that was sponsored by NGINX, Inc.