Nimble Storage Review

Setup is user-friendly and its single-box unit design leaves a small footprint, but I'd like to see a deduplication feature.

Valuable Features

• Support
  • Pricing
  • Technical engineers
  • Units are nice because its only one box, while, for example, ExtremIO was six units
  • Setup was very easy because the software was user-friendly

Improvements to My Organization

• We now have a smaller footprint.
  • I'm surprised at how fast the hybrid is.
  • The whole technical staff expertise is very strong.
  • It's resilient - you're only supposed to pull out two drives at a time, but we pulled four simultaneously and it still survived.

Room for Improvement

Currently there's no deduplication, and I would like to see that. Also, it's still slower than flash storage.

The VDI is supposed to be smooth, but we still saw a little delay in typing and performing general work even though we didn’t put much load into it.

The controls are built into the unit, and I wouldn’t hesitate to scale it.

The tech support is great. Within a few minutes of pulling drives, someone calls or emails right away to check up.

It was very simple and fast. It only took three hours, including racking, to set everything up.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

All the features are included in Nimble, so there's no need to pay for features later on.

Other Solutions Considered

We were looking for a VDI solution that gave the same performance as a desktop/laptop. We tested PureStorage and ExtremIO, but chose to do a PoC with Nimble because others who were already using it were so positive about it.

Other Advice

If you're not using it for VDI, it's also good for general storage.