HPE Nimble Storage Review

Remote replication for disaster recovery is the primary use of the array.

What is most valuable?

Remote replication for disaster recovery is the primary use of the array. As we get further along in our implementation and are more familiar with the product, we intend to use the cloning features to create development and test environments.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, our virtual servers had been deployed to on-board storage. By using an array, we are able to more easily manage and increase our storage capacities. In the future, we intend to use zero-copy cloning to reduce the time to deploy test environments.

What needs improvement?

So far, the only area I have noticed that requires improvement is the ability to console directly to the device. The device is supplied with a special adapter that requires a female-to-female serial cable. If standard cables (preferably USB) cannot be used, then complete solutions should be provided with the device.

We have been using the storage array in production for about six months. We are in the process of migrating all our virtual servers to the array and configuring replication to the DR site.

We have not encountered any no stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support has been fantastic. Questions have been answered accurately and in a timely manner.

At one point, we used NetApp. We found it expensive, especially with the storage overhead required. The Nimble product was significantly less expensive and management was simpler.

We used sub-contractors for the initial setup but saw that the process was relatively simple. As with all technologies, there are many different ways of configuring the devices depending on intended usage. We found that we changed some things as we progressed through the implementation. Overall, the implementation has been relatively painless.

We did not evaluate alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the budget; go for it. As with any storage, don't under-buy, you'll always need more.

More HPE Nimble Storage reviews from users