Nimble Storage Review

Solid stability - I haven't had to initiate a service call in three years

What is our primary use case?

Nimble is a secondary VMware environment in our organization, so it's not running mission-critical applications at this point or responsible for complex business needs.

How has it helped my organization?

When we initially bought it, Nimble helped improve our organization as that was when we went through and we virtualized everything. Nimble was the back-end SAN for everything.

What is most valuable?

Now that it's owned by HPE, all of my SANs are under one support organization.

What needs improvement?

I haven't thought about what I might want to see in a future release mainly because we're trying to figure out where we want to head next: if we want to go with the Synergy system or if we want to continue down the hyperconverged path.

More than five years.

I haven't had a service call on it for three years. I would say that is pretty good.

We were able to take on and add the second one with the first one fairly easily. The second one was actually in Cincinnati and we brought it to Arizona. We had them separated and now they're co-joined.

We haven't needed any technical support on the two Nimble SANs that we've had, for the last three years.

They're now coming up on six or seven years old. I think we got our money's worth.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Nimble an eight out of 10, with cost probably being the big factor. It was a little on the pricey side at the time that it was bought. I came in late to the game, it was already in place when I got to the company. But, going back over the documentation, it was probably a little pricey.