No Magic MagicDraw Review

Flexible modeling with team collaboration, but need improvements to the object management group and user manuals

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for modeling and collaboration.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the amount of flexibility that one has to model, which is great for an individual. But it becomes a problem when you're trying to collaborate within a team. It is not a strongly coupled tool.

What needs improvement?

I dabble with the OMG (object management group) in terms of definitions of standard. OMG is now working on SysML version 2.0 and there is significant work that needs to be done to eliminate some of the ambiguities and foibles in the standard itself.

The user interface could have better quality tutorials. When I go to the manual, I can hyperlink along, but there are subtleties that you literally have to find by trying and doing.

One of the issues I am currently experiencing is with one of my environments. I use a Windows environment and a Mac environment. When I am working with my Mac and I right-click to copy and paste, it doesn't work.

I find myself going back to the old control characters like Ctrl-C to copy and Ctrl-V to paste. Also, some of the ways that one can create elements and move more at a hierarchy in the model of view and the browser, don't work. I finally found an approach that has worked.

In the next release, it would be better to have cleaner manuals that lead people along in a simpler way.

I have been an occasional user of No Magic MagicDraw for approximately five years.

We are running two different versions at the moment. One is version 18.5 and the other is version 19.

This solution is stable. I have not experienced any glitches and nothing has crashed that I haven't been the cause of.

This is a scalable tool. It's very flexible and all of the stereotypes that you can select or add, for example, we call it the 80/20 rule, where 20% of the tool usage gets you to 80% of the capabilities you need.

I have not had the need to contact technical support.

Previously, I used the Sparx Enterprise Architect. I still use it on occasion.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We have an in-house team to maintain this solution.

For one of them, we had a government administrator to set it up. I did the other one myself.

I am not aware of the costs, as this solution is offered to me by the clients.

What other advice do I have?

I am a sole proprietor consultant and I work within teams that are a mix of contractors and government employees. Also, I am an adjunct professor.

My advice goes back to the 80/20 rule. There is 20% of the basic fundamental capabilities that you will get you 80% of what you need or more.

My advice is to have a standard framework for a model within the enterprise. In terms of a standard hierarchy structure, know where you put the requirements or the logical architecture. Also, know how it changes depending on whether you are dealing with a system or with a system's assistance. The system's assistance depends on whether you have a directed governance environment or a federal, or coalition of the willing.

Because of the issues, I am experiencing with the OMG, I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

More No Magic MagicDraw reviews from users