No Magic MagicDraw Review

Can be customized to your needs and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We use MagicDraw for model-based systems engineering. It differs from standard systems engineering applications by using models, as opposed to words or sheets. We define our system or subsystems via models and interfaces and then define the relationships between them.

It is used mostly during the design phase of all of our projects. After the production and testing phases, it is no longer used.

What is most valuable?

This solution can be customized to your needs.

The technical support is very good.

It is easy to set up and use.

What needs improvement?

The cost of upgrading the product should be lower.

It would be useful if there were a way of comparing the production and design models. It is not necessary because there are other tools to validate the design but having it included would be good.

I have been using MagicDraw for more close to four years.

It is very stable. They also update the software and when they do, they send an email to let us know what has changed and what new features we can use.

We have six users in the company.

I have been in contact with technical support and they are always there to help you. Whenever I need something, they help me. For example, I was trying to create numbers for a subsystem that followed a pattern like A1, A2, A3... but I could not find it in the program. When I contacted support, they told me that it was possible and they taught me how to do it. In the end, I was able to do it.

The initial setup is very easy.

I set up this software and the Teamwork Server that we use to allow multiple people to work on the same projects. After receiving the software, it took me less than a week to deploy it.

In addition to the initial cost, you have to pay annually for support in order to get the upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is designing complex projects, like defense projects or space projects, is that they have to use this program or one like it. All of the stakeholders have to understand that they need to review the product using models, in addition to the documents. Following this will ensure that it is very easy to understand the product that is being designed.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More No Magic MagicDraw reviews from users