Nolio Release Automation Review

The Deployment Pipeline shows the environment and release version artifact that was deployed and whether it was successful or failed for each application.

What is most valuable?

I really appreciate the Deployment Pipeline where you can see the environment and release version artifact that was deployed and whether it was successful (green) or failed (red) for each application.

The release deployment pipeline in CA RA is the most valuable feature of them all, as it shows the environment and the release version currently deployed for each application.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled us to provide continuous delivery and deployment for all 4 environments (DEV, QA, stage, prod) with promotion steps for each environment.

What needs improvement?

I don't think there are enough action packs for each App Deployment function.

There is also a lack of online documentation or step-by-step guides, especially for the CA RA product.

I have used it for 8 months.

We encountered no stability issues.

We did encounter some scalability issues. Only active/passive mode is available for this product and not high availability mode like other products.

We found the technical support to be very low level.

I used Puppet Labs as a configuration management tool and compared it to CA Release Automation. The products are completely different in features, functions and methodology.

The initial CA RA setup is complex for getting you started but after you understand the way it distributes artifacts to its agent and the deployment phases, it then becomes quite easy to handle.

It has its cost and can be considered to be more expensive compared to other solutions.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Learn your application's components (backend, frontend, DB) before you start working with CA RA. You also need to teach CA RA the artifact type and version for each deployment. It is best for you to first manually deploy then teach CA RA how to automate it.

5.5.2
More Nolio Release Automation reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Digital.ai and others in Release Automation. Updated: May 2021.
511,521 professionals have used our research since 2012.