Nuage Networks Review

Single platform for both SDDC and SD-WAN

What is our primary use case?

Both SD-WAN and SDDC. As for many banking, we need to have a single solution that virtualizes networking and extends the connectivity between the main DC and DR with the several cloud services like Amazon and Azure, VNF, branch in a box approach. At the same time, the policy can be managed centrally for branches and pushed in no time, allowing application-aware routing and local break out, same time providing giga-grade OVS performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Provided the required network virtualization by creating a robust and flexible overlay and even enabled an enormous amount of services.

What is most valuable?

• It's stable and secure (built around VXLAN, BGP, and the legendary ALU 7750 router).
  • Single platform for both SDDC and SD-WAN (enabling end-to-end overlay from VM/container to the vCPE in the branch under a single policy).
  • Layer 2 overlay
  • Service chaining
  • Application-aware routing
  • Version 6.0 now is expected by mid of this year which reflects a maturity I've never experienced with any other network virtualization system. (Version 6.0  Is released on July)
  • New Portal Version 6.0 was also released on July
  • Open platform (open API, any hypervisor, over x86 computer, and any network provider).
  • Microsegmentation with performance and scale.

What needs improvement?

• Educational materials should be available for such a mature system!
  • No open-user group like VMUG for example
  • More certified integration will be a plus.

Three to five years.

• 99% stable overlay solution (actually this the main feature I like).
  • Easy to troubleshoot as well.

Outstanding with four deployments. Two of them implemented containers as well as VMs.

Medium complexity.

Three years, and in one case, we achieved this in 19 months.

Use any vendor hardware with good software for the overlay like Nuage.

Yes, Juniper Contrail, NSX and Cisco ACI.

What other advice do I have?

Always abstract your network virtualization (same as the SDN concept) and never use a single proprietary vendor for both hardware and software. Always select the open-standard vendors for both, for example, (Juniper or HPE or Extreme for hardware, and L3 switching and configure Nuage for software overlay).