What is our primary use case?
Both SD-WAN and SDDC. As for many banking, we need to have a single solution that virtualizes networking and extends the connectivity between the main DC and DR with the several cloud services like Amazon and Azure, VNF, branch in a box approach. At the same time, the policy can be managed centrally for branches and pushed in no time, allowing application-aware routing and local break out, same time providing giga-grade OVS performance.
How has it helped my organization?
Provided the required network virtualization by creating a robust and flexible overlay and even enabled an enormous amount of services.
What is most valuable?
- It's stable and secure (built around VXLAN, BGP, and the legendary ALU 7750 router).
- Single platform for both SDDC and SD-WAN (enabling end-to-end overlay from VM/container to the vCPE in the branch under a single policy).
- Layer 2 overlay
- Service chaining
- Application-aware routing
- Version 6.0 now is expected by mid of this year which reflects a maturity I've never experienced with any other network virtualization system. (Version 6.0 Is released on July)
- New Portal Version 6.0 was also released on July
- Open platform (open API, any hypervisor, over x86 computer, and any network provider).
- Microsegmentation with performance and scale.
What needs improvement?
- Educational materials should be available for such a mature system!
- No open-user group like VMUG for example
- More certified integration will be a plus.
For how long have I used the solution?
Three to five years.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
- 99% stable overlay solution (actually this the main feature I like).
- Easy to troubleshoot as well.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
Outstanding with four deployments. Two of them implemented containers as well as VMs.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
How was the initial setup?
What was our ROI?
Three years, and in one case, we achieved this in 19 months.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
Use any vendor hardware with good software for the overlay like Nuage.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
Yes, Juniper Contrail, NSX and Cisco ACI.
What other advice do I have?
Always abstract your network virtualization (same as the SDN concept) and never use a single proprietary vendor for both hardware and software. Always select the open-standard vendors for both, for example, (Juniper or HPE or Extreme for hardware, and L3 switching and configure Nuage for software overlay).
Which version of this solution are you currently using?
Find out what your peers are saying about Nuage Networks, VMware, Fortinet and others in SD-WAN. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.