Nutanix Acropolis AOS Review

Good lifecycle management functionality and technical support, but many features need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We have had customers who wanted new hardware and new software with a certain price point in mind, and didn't want to pay the VMware licensing. We switched them to Nutanix Acropolis.

What is most valuable?

Our clients like several features including the micro-segmentation flow, the one-page management through Prism, and the LCM (Life Cycle Management) that Prism offers.

What needs improvement?

There are several features that need improvement. Some of the areas are:

• The Nutanix flow is only for micro-segmentation functionality.
  • It doesn't integrate with their cloud solution.
  • It's only for on-premises, even though they have micro-segmentation, it doesn't extend it through the cloud.
  • It (Flow) doesn't work with the XI frame.
  • Life Cycle Management is very simplistic for the HPE DX.
  • Some of the applications are not supported yet.

We have to look at the ecosystem that Nutanix is trying to create. It's lacking in some features but overcompensating in others. They are trying to be holistic, but they have a lot to catch up on when it comes to VMware. For example, they only support Citrix, and if you run Nutanix Acropolis you can't run VMware Horizon. There are limitations and the Kubernetes solution is limited.

I have been dealing with Nutanix Acropolis for quite a while. I have many certifications with Nutanix.

This solution is stable.

The scalability is fine, as it is advertised, but I can't attest to any performance indicators because I haven't stress-tested it.

Nutanix does a superb job with technical support. Technicians who work your case answer their phones.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good alternative, but it doesn't have all of the features. It's not on par with VMware but it is a potential alternative. It's similar to comparing Apple to Oranges.

If you are invested in the infrastructure and that is what you have to consider, but it's not easy. Overall, it's good software.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
More Nutanix Acropolis AOS reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware EVO:RAIL [EOL]
Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Acropolis AOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,163 professionals have used our research since 2012.