Nutanix Acropolis AOS Review

Building a beautiful, empathetic and intuitive product is core to this platform

What is our primary use case?

AOS is one of the most important parts of the Nutanix HCI solution. AOS provides a few main features - managing VMs (Hypervisor), one managing interface (Prism), distributed storage fabric with software-defined features instead of hardware implementations such as RAID.

Over the years, the Nutanix Platform capability set and services have grown substantially. Over the years, this has evolved to simplify and abstract virtualization, automated upgrades and operations, and much more.

How has it helped my organization?

We deployed Nutanix three years ago and now we see all benefits of AOS. It doesn't require a lot of engineers for managing the virtualization environment. We see a nice reduction of using storage resources. AOS can run any workloads such as business-critical DBs. Also, AOS provides great features for backup and DR.

AOS optimizes capacity utilization without hurting performance or resiliency by dynamically compressing, deduplicating, and erasure coding blocks of data based on potential capacity savings as well as application access patterns.

Building a beautiful, empathetic and intuitive product is core to the Nutanix platform and something we take very seriously.

What is most valuable?

• DSF with reduction techniques - more storage resources.
  • Resiliency - self-healing, handling a failure.
  • One manage interface - Prism. It's easy to use and monitor your workloads.

Monitoring:

• Anomaly Detection
  • In the world of IT operations, there is a lot of noise. Traditionally, systems would generate a great deal of alerts, events, and notifications, often leading to the operator either a) not seeing critical alerts since they are lost in the noise or b) disregarding the alerts/events.

Nutanix Software Upgrade:

• Performing a Nutanix software upgrade is a very simple and non-disruptive process.

What needs improvement?

Nutanix should improve AHV to support migration VMs between clusters and storage containers. Migration between containers is possible, but it requires shutting down the VM. The procedure is long and there is no migration between clusters at all.

By and large, I have nothing more to add, but if we talk about what I have listed, then these functions would greatly facilitate the operation of Nutanix HCI.

I hope they will fix this soon, although I have been waiting for this for a long time.

I have been using Nutanix Acropolis AOS for three years.

VMware.