Nutanix Acropolis AOS Review

Feature-rich, good data protection that is easy to set up, and it has improved our overall performance

What is our primary use case?

We've implemented Nutanix as part of a hardware refresh project. We've replaced two chassis with 28 Server blades, two storage devices, and four SAN switches by 12 Nutanix nodes.

First, we had moved some development and test workloads before sending production workloads. The first wave was successful and we couldn't wait until moving more workloads to Nutanix. We were anxious because this HCI was something we have never experimented with before and at the end of the day, it was the best thing we've done in our infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

We couldn't have chosen better, as we were able to reduce our data center footprint by two-thirds, reduced the management tools and teams, eliminated the SAN complexity, increased the IOPS metrics, and increased the overall performance by 40%.

We were also able to reduce our support contract with a third-party vendor that manages our environment due to the footprint reduction and also the SAN and Storage decommissioning.

The virtualization environment is now much easier to manage and maintain, there is only one vendor to call in case of issues and one single console to manage everything.

What is most valuable?

There are lots of great built-in features such as the one-click upgrade, data protection, data locality, very fast and non-disruptive snapshots, single pane of glass, etc.

We are applying patches and upgrades every quarter using the one-click upgrade feature and we have never run into an issue. The updates go smoothly with no outages at all, and we do everything including firmware updates, AOS updates, foundation updates, hypervisor updates, all at once and it goes perfectly fine.

The data protection is also a great feature that is very easy to set up and includes lots of options for snapshot retention. The consistent snapshots are great for Windows application and database servers.

What needs improvement?

I think some of the tasks that must be done using CLI could be added to the web interface.

I think it is kind of frustrating, opening a CLI session going through all the CLI commands you have to run to accomplish that task and then get back to the web console to continue doing what you were doing. It would be much easier to have that same setup option available on the web console.

Also, I believe that running several different commands through a CLI can increase the chance of typos/mistakes, resulting in a bigger issue.

We have been using Nutanix Acropolis AOS for one year.

We used a different product before this one, and we moved to reduce complexity.

The setup cost, pricing, and licensing are very competitive and TCO is very low compared to three-tier solutions.

We evaluated VMware vSphere with VSAN and NSX, as well as Azure Stack.

Private Cloud

5.15
More Nutanix Acropolis AOS reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware vSAN
Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Acropolis AOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.