Nutanix Acropolis Review

Doubles the number of servers that we manage without having to increase the number of IT personnel managing them

What is our primary use case?

We use Nutanix on a daily basis and mainly for virtual server utilization and some VDI.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix Acropolis allows us to manage our company with a smaller team of IT technicians. It doubles the number of servers that we manage without having to increase the number of IT personnel managing it. It allows us to build more with less. This would be a great example of why we use Nutanix.

Also, every time we have a new stack or when we need to expand the cluster, it is no hassle. It takes less than five minutes. When we have to upgrade, everything runs automatically, so my team can basically just start an upgrade, go and have a coffee, and three hours later come back to see that everything is finished and upgraded automatically.

We use Nutanix hardware, so we have a single vendor and a single stack for everything, which makes the life cycle management very simple and very forward.

What is most valuable?

The management interface of this solution is great. We really enjoy not being locked into VMware as the app adviser vendor. The latest version of Acropolis has a very handy micro-segmentation feature, which we use very often. Overall, I think the most significant upside is the great support provided by Nutanix.

What needs improvement?

I believe the only things that may need to improve is that the Nutanix Controller VM consumes quite a lot of resources. If that could be reduced, it would be great. Secondly, I would have liked it if Nutanix were a hardware as well as a software platform. I think they are currently progressing into a software only path. I think that, in the near future, their own hardware will be discontinued. I can understand why they're doing it, but I would have preferred them to continue being a one-stop shop for hardware and software alike.
However, so far, for our company, the wish list is completely covered.

I am the CEO at a tech services company and we've been using this solution for three years now.

Nutanix Acropolis is super stable.

We currently have about 900 clusters/users using this program, with only four admins running this environment on a part-time basis. I would say that each Nutanix cluster does not require more than three to four hours of maintenance per month. We plan to increase our usage.

I was absolutely amazed by the linear growth and scalability of this solution and it is the best I've ever seen. Every time we need to grow, we simply add another node and in less than two hours, the storage volume gets increased.

The technical support is great and that is why we have chosen Nutanix. We have actually chosen Nutanix because of their very high J.D. score, and it's proven to be exactly that: the best support I've ever seen.

We have not used any other solutions before. We have tested many other vendors, such as SimpliVity, but we haven't used anything before.

The initial setup was amazingly fast and very straightforward. The deployment didn't take long because we are currently running four different clusters. Less than a day after the box containing the program was delivered to our offices, the first cluster was up and running.

Our company provide integration services for Nutanix, so we do our own installation, setup, and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

My first advice to others considering using this solution would be to always use the support because they are great. The second advice would be to read the Nutanix Bible, which is quite good. It's an online resource allowing you to understand what Nutanix is all about. The third thing is to always follow the best practices that Nutanix provides. If you follow the correct practices, you are on the fast track.

I rate this a nine and a half out of ten because nothing is ever perfect. But Nutanix comes very close.